This was my primary project as the Government Information graduate assistant at University of Illinois Libraries. It was a thorough redo of the layout, though rather strictly constrained by the design template of the larger library site and the restrictions imposed by the CMS.
The previous site had not been reworked for a number of years, so I decided to start from scratch. I looked at analytics for the previous two years, consulted other librarians and tech staff about their use of the site, and performed user tests and a paper prototyping exercise with the primary library users of the site. I used those results to rethink the layout and information architecture of the site, streamlining the layout to make better use of the available space, and re-casting the IA in terms of the primary audiences and use-cases identified in the testing phase.
I also added new features to integrate social media and other timely content with the site, and provided training and consultation on social media use and strategy, and updated the code and fixed dead links throughout the site. Finally, I created a condensed portal page of the most pertinent resources for the use of reference librarians on the desk in the answering of Government Information questions.